FreeKibble.com
Saturday, January 28, 2006
A 91st birthday! Just imagine.....

Born in 1915, my grandmother made her 91st birthday today. She isn't as spry as she used to be, but her mind is still pretty sharp. I was thinking about all that she has seen in her nearly 100 years. These are some of the things I came up with:

The Great depression
On screen movies
TV
Color TV
Big screen tv
Early Refrigeration (other than just an icebox which she still calls it)
Airconditioning (they used to be lucky if they had attic fans
Cars changing (now they are electric too)
A new century/millennia
Cordless phones in the home
Cell phones
Jet airplanes
Space travel
Man on the moon
Space station
Computers that filled a room to a computer you can carry in your hand.
Drinking white gasoline (she did this when she was young because she thought it was a glass of water, the doctor made her eat butter and drink milk to coat her stomach and esophagus. From that day on, she never ate butter or drank sweet milk again. But she loves buttermilk! Go figure)
Death of her mother - Her mother died in child birth when my grandmother was about 11 years old.
Death of her husband/21 years ago when my grandmother was 70. She never remarried nor would she give another man the time of day. She has always been totally devoted to my grandfather.
Gave birth to one child/73 years ago (my biological father)
2 world wars
Korean war
Vietnam war
Desert Storm

and so much more I couldn't even begin to think of.

Hard to imagine all the changes in this world since she was born. I am 53 and I have seen so many changes during MY lifetime, but for her, there is so much more. It's totally amazing to me when I sit and think about all that she has seen and experienced. And up until a couple of years ago, she could still kick my butt at dominoes!

I wish I could capture all her memories and play them so that I could see them. She and my grandfather used to travel the world. They have been to so many places. I can't even begin to imagine their life together. They were married for over 55 years when he passed away.

Just thought I would share this with you.
 
posted by Cindy N. at 9:54 PM | Permalink |


3 comments:


  • At 10:27 AM, Blogger mox

    And she would probably be flabbergasted that her photo is on the Internet.....

    I love old folks.


    Mox

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Renee

    91. WOW! She looks great for 91, and if her mind is pretty sharp, that's amazing!
    Happy Birthday to your 'maw-maw'.

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Deirdre

    Aww. :o)