FreeKibble.com
Thursday, January 12, 2006
My Soapbox!
I was reading Mox's blog today and it really got me to thinking about what our children and their children are learning or being taught (or not)these days.

Remember being taught simple math in school? I don't think they teach that anymore. For instance, when you go the store and you purchase a case of something that has 4 cans going one way and 6 cans going the other way. The cashiers start counting 1 2 3 4 5 6 ...... all the way to 24. I want to SCREAM! Didn't anyone teach these BIMBOS to just multiply! 4 x 6 = 24. It's that easy folks!, and a lot faster than counting all the way to 24. They actually can count that high. That in itself amazes me.

And phone etiquette... I rarely ever hear the type of appropriate phone etiquette that I was taught anymore. You call and ask for someone and they put you on hold without saying kiss my foot, or please hold, or one moment please or... well you get the picture...... Sometimes you get a half a 'hol' ...click. The click the old button before they are finished saying the word. Once I asked for someone and the phone answerer said "She haven't came back yet!" I couldn't believe it! Doesn't anyone teach phone etiquette and proper English to someone they are going to have answering the phone in their office? Do they ever call their own offices to find out how the phones are being answered? I hear all sorts of jargon, such as 'uh huh'....'yeah'.....'I don't know' (with nothing else like...'but I will see if I can find out for you'). I was taught never to say that kind of stuff to a caller. ARGHGHGHGHHHGHHGH!!!!!

Thank you notes. Do you ever give a gift to someone for a wedding, a baby shower, a housewarming and never get even so much as a howdy do? My mother raised me to not only SAY thank you but to also send a WRITTEN thank you note. I get so irritated when I don't get a simple thank you note.

People don't say Please and Thankyou anymore. I work with someone that says things like "Give me some candy" or "Give me a paper towel" or "I want some of your butter" with never a 'please', 'may I' or a 'thank you'. And most of the time, she just helps herself to whatever is yours without a second thought. And never replaces it either.

I was taught a lot of this stuff in kindergarten. What is happening to our schools and our teachers..(no offense to you Candy). We have no rules for our kids, no consequences for bad behaviour. What is happening to the parents that teach good manners to kids? Are they a disappearing breed? We are the baby boomers folks and I KNOW we were taught better. What about the next generations?

Well, folks, we are loosing the fine art of properness and courtesy. Let's all try to practice a little of it in our every day lives. If you don't know what's proper or courteous, FIND OUT!

Ok, I'll step off the soapbox now. Have a nice day. Please.
 
posted by Cindy N. at 12:28 PM | Permalink |


2 comments:


  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger Daisy Mae

    Well I always said that manners start at home and believe me, after seeing the homes of many kids I can understand why no one has manners anymore. Just look at my faith healer neighbor and her daughter.

    And cell phones! To add to your soapbox rantings, lets not forget phone etiquette and cell phones. I can't tell you how many times I get in line behind someone on their cell phone talking loudly. And they don't break stride in conversation when they get to the cashier. They ignore the cashier and keep talking on the phone and just throw the money at the cashier. Rude!And how many times have I almost been killed in traffic because of some idiot on a cell phone not paying attention to what they are doing. OMG I am on a soapbox now!!! AGGHHH!!!!

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger Renee

    Okay, off topic, but responding to your comment. I'm up for a healthy lunch anytime . . well, except for Tuesday which is gonna be a Chili's lunch (oops). We could do Subway, or Blimpie, or Jason's . . I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!