FreeKibble.com
Wednesday, February 01, 2006
Strong Coffee and a Parakeet!

I don't usually drink coffee, but this morning I felt the need to get a boost. I went to the trusty coffee pot in the break room and got a cup for 25 cents and fixed it like I normally do when I do get some and took a big swig......sputter, spit, YUCK! Someone had made it twice as strong as it usually is and it was awful! I guess that'll teach me to drink that crap in the first place. It doesn't look very good either!

Anyway, I came in to work today with a different attitude. I have the "I don't care!" attitude. That way, I won't get all stressed out from being here. I figure if I keep that kind of attitude for the rest of my 6 months before retirement, I will be able to make it with flying colors! I don't care!

I have collected some boxes and I am going to start packing my junk to take home. That way, it'll be done when I AM ready to walk out, which could be any time now. My co-worker just gave me the evil eye when I said that I was packing up my stuff. I think he thinks I am going to quit VERY VERY soon. I am not. My husband wants me to stay my full 33 years and I am going to do that for him. That is, if I don't have a nervous breakdown first...thus....I don't care!

Did I tell you guys I got a parakeet? Well, I did. It's yellow. I think that bringing this thing home was a mistake. First of all, it's something else for me to have to take care of and 2nd, it makes noise! I have enough noise makers with 2 dogs barking and growling at the neighbors when they come home (reminder - I live in the country, so the neighbors are NOT close). Now I have this bird squawking too!. Here is a picture of one just like the one I got.


Now, I had to go to the pet store yesterday and like any good Parakeet Mom, bought stuff for the bird. I got a mirror with a bell on it(the lady said they really like a bell and they think the bird in the mirror is a friend), parakeet food, and a millet spray (the lady said they LOVE millet spray). I thought millet spray was some sort of push button stuff to spray on the bird. It's not. It's some sort of dryed weed the birds must like. It looks like this.

Anyway, I put all that crap in Miss Sweetie's cage and she hasn't moved since. I think she is terrified of it all. The people that had her before me, never took her out of her cage to play with her, so she is also terrified of my hand being in the cage. She FREAKS!

I am not sure I have the patience for all this. I may be looking for a new home for Miss Sweetie. Any suggestions on how to handle a terrified bird?
 
posted by Cindy N. at 8:33 AM | Permalink |


9 comments:


  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Deirdre

    I think maybe it will just take time for her to get used to you and realize you're not going to harm her.

    :) Maybe.

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger beki

    Not at my house! Sorry :( I had a roommate once who had a parakeet. I can not handle that noise. It would also poop when you took her out of her cage, which was a nice bonus, LOL.

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger Daisy Mae

    What a cute parakeet! I have no advice on that since I've never had a bord. But please post more picture of her. She's adorable!

     
  • At 12:54 AM, Blogger ShooShoo

    I haven't owned birds before, but some close friends of mine growing up did... I think if you put a blanket over the cage it's supposed to calm them down or make them feel safer. Maybe you could work her into getting used to being in her new home by letting her have periods where her cage is covered that lessen over time... I would say work slowly into the handling thing too, but hopefully she will adjust to that before too long. At least she isn't biting, right? ;)

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I have a bird just like that! She was given to my by my sister, who had acquired two at the same time from someone else who didn't like the noise. I took one and she kept the other. Hers died within a month or two and mine is still kicking. Almost 5 years now I've had her. I wish "sometimes" that she would kick the bucket... only because she is so dang messy. Everyday seeds everywhere! We still can't take her out of the cage either. When we first tried she would bite the kids hard and they are scared of her. I am the only one who can hold her and she knows I'm not scared. She has mellowed in her old age and doesn't bite as hard. Her name is Buttercup and really is a sweet bird. She loves listening to the TV and gripes and complains with me as I hollor at the kids/husband :). She really is a sweet bird but too much of a mess maker. Plenty of patience is all you need. She will learn that you love her and be a best friend to you. You not gonna like the mess though... hahaha! I don't have a mirror in my cage and my bird responds better to us without it. She looks for attention from me. Good luck! and NO I do not want another one. When Buttercup is gone...there won't be another one.

     
  • At 9:58 PM, Blogger MarkD60

    Play music for the bird. My friends nad a bird that went crazy for "99 Luftballoons". Or maybe another bird?

     
  • At 1:46 AM, Blogger Jay

    Just keep up the good attitude and I'm sure you'll make it to your 33 years...as for the bird, I have no help whatsoever!

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Blogger Julie

    I want to retire!!! I am 42 though and have just been at this job for 7 years.. I am afraid it will be a good long time!!
    As for Sweetie well birds are probably the messest of pets. They do love millet spray but they like to spread their seed and everything they have in their cage all over. I agree with Cindy the 1st thing to do is to put plastic under the cage or a huge rug that you can shake--alot! I have had parakeets and from there went to cockatiels and then to a quaker parrot. All my birds talked accept for the keets. They say some of them talk but mine didn't but they did whistle. Unfortunately I taught my birds to cuss and didn't realize you didn't have any control of them when they decided to talk... or who they talked to!

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Blogger MarkD60

    I am going to go make some COFFEE now!