FreeKibble.com
Friday, January 26, 2007
Slow decline.....slight progress
I know it's been a while since I last posted, but I have had a very busy week.

My Mother was finally moved from the Telemetry Unit of the hospital to a Rehab hospital last night. (literally at 9:00 pm last night! Rediculous!)

The past week has been very scary for me. She was finally able to have the Heart Catheterization on Wednesday after spending a week in the new hospital under the great doctor's care. (I think really good things about this doctor) Anyway the catheterization showed that the bypass that was done 21 years ago is now blocked up completely. The cardiologist tried to open it up with a balloon or stint, but was unable to do so. However, he said that the smaller veins have actually bypassed the bypass and she is getting proper blood flow through the heart, therefore she does not require surgery right now. (that's a good thing because she is too weak to live through it anyway) She has continued to have some chest pains, but he said to expect that and they will treat her with medication to help that.

During the past week in the hospital, she has steadily declined in strength to the point that now she cannot stand up by herself, turn over in the bed without help, or speak more than a couple of words at a time. She is EXTREMELY WEAK. She requires full assistance to do ANYTHING right now. She is able to feed herself as long as her meat is cut up for her and her milk carton is opened for her, but beyond that, nothing. She is also staying somewhat confused about what is wrong with her, why she is there, why doctors and nurses are doing what they are doing, and where she is.

The rehab hospital will focus each morning on physical therapy, first to regain strength in her legs. Right now, even when the aides pick her up to move her from the bed to a potty or wheelchair, her legs do not work at all. It's like they are made of jello and just go limp. So she is dead weight. They want her to start sitting up more each day and they will work with her legs and arm strength for the first few days. She will be there a minimum of 14 days. I trust she will get well and be able to come back home after her stay in rehab.

I have been so very worried about her. I thought I was watching my mother die right before my eyes. She even said to me, "I am dying." I was terrified and felt so helpless. I asked her to focus on living, rather than dying and she said she would try. I know there are lots of prayers going on for her right now and I appreciate each and every one. I know God answers prayers, because she is still with us right now and trying to get better now. Please keep the prayers going.

I will post more as I can. Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and your support.
 
posted by Cindy N. at 10:53 PM | Permalink |


3 comments:


  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger Renee

    It was good talking to you yesterday, Cindy. I'll continue to pray for your mom and your entire family.
    Keep us posted.

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Daisy Martin

    Oh Cindy, I am so sorry your Mom is going through this. she and your entire family are in my prayers nightly. She needs to fight this and have the will to make it through this.

    You have been through so much with your sister and now your mom, please take time for yourself. don't let yourself get run down with running back and forth doing for everyone.

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger beki

    Oh no Cindy, I'm so sorry to hear this! Prayers are most definitely on the way.