FreeKibble.com
Saturday, November 18, 2006
My contribution to Thanksgiving Dinner

We all have special things we do for Thanksgiving every year. My husband and I always go to his brother's wife's relatives house. They move around each year and always have 50 to 80 people that show up for dinner at whatever house they go to. There is more food there than 80 people could possibly eat in TWO sittings much less just one sitting.

Anyway, they found out that I can make some pretty good deviled eggs, so that is their demand every year when I ask what I should bring this year. It's always "just bring whatever you would like to have to eat, any special dish that you like, Deviled Eggs would be nice", so I end up bringing deviled eggs. This is quite a production because you understand I have to bring enough for about 60 people. Over the years I have created a conveyor belt type of operation for doing many, many, many deviled eggs. I end up with 3 to 4 platters of egg halves. Thank God, Tom helps to peel them.
In case anyone else would like to make Deviled Eggs like I do, here is my recipe.
Deviled Eggs
1½ Dozen Eggs (fresh eggs won't peel easily. Week-old eggs work best.)
Items below are `to taste':
Mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
Mustard
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Pickle relish (optional) I don't use.
Paprika
Place eggs in large pot and cover with cold water. Heat on highest setting till water comes to a boil. Boil all eggs for 15 minutes (after water comes to a boil). Pour hot water off eggs and cover in cold water to cool. Once cooled,peel all eggs. It's easier to peel them under cool running water.Cut egg in half the long way. Drop the yolk into a bowl and put the white half on an egg dish or platter. If the white is messed up, dropit in the bowl too.
Mash the parts in the bowl (or use a food processor) and add all above ingredients (except the paprika). Fill each egg white half,with a spoon full of your egg mixture and top with paprika. Place a toothpick in each egg and cover with Saran Wrap until serving time. The toothpicks keep the wrap from mashing the eggs.
This yields about 30 to 32 pieces.
I made a great purchase about 3 years ago. I bought the Pampered Chef Cake Decorator. I make my stuffing for the eggs and fill the cake decorator with the stuffing and squirt into each egg half. Boy that makes it go so much faster and I don't get the 'stuffing eggs neck/shoulder ache' anymore. Whew!
Well, I need to go read the other blogs I keep up with, so I will write more in a day or so. See ya!
 
posted by Cindy N. at 11:42 PM | Permalink |


5 comments:


  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger Avant-Garde

    The toothpicks in the eggs is one of the best ideas heard lately!
    thanks for that tip and have a really good turkey day!
    p.s. im hungry now darn it!

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger MarkD60

    Those look gooooooooood! I'm hungry now!

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger Daisy Mae

    I love deviled eggs and yours look SO GOOD! Greg doesn't like deviled eggs so I never make them anymore. I may have to make some from your recipe just for me though.

    Thats a HUGE Thanksgiving crowd. I bet it is a blast!

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger Kelli

    Thats a lot of egg peeling going on! Im not big on deviled eggs..but my dad LOVES them. Maybe I will make him some...yeah..I probably wont. :)

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger Renee

    Those DO look good. They make me want one right now.