FreeKibble.com
Saturday, October 06, 2007
Butterfly Life

While we were in Destin last week, there were quite a few butterflies actually flying over the Gulf waters. One of the other guests that were staying at the same place we were, said that butterflies only live one day! I couldn't accept that, so, of course, I had to come home and look that up. I wish I had known this so that I could have disputed that woman's erroneous information. How could something this beautiful only live one day?



Butterfly Lifespan

The lifespan of butterflies depends on the species in question and, of course, the conditions they are kept in (and whether they hibernate or not, which is not taken into account here). Generally speaking, there are two types of butterfly (as far as longevity is concerned).

Firstly there are the species that only consume nectar - these are species like papilios and nymphalidae. Nectar is purely an energy source and consequently the lifespans of these species are short - sometimes as low as a week but usually up to three or more in good conditions.

The second type are those that feed on both nectar and pollen; pollen is a protein source so allows some rejuvenation of body tissue and thus these species live longer, around three months or so as a general guide. This category is filled by species like heliconidae.
 
posted by Cindy N. at 10:13 AM | Permalink |


1 comments:


  • At 6:12 AM, Blogger Deirdre

    Hi! Thanks for all of the sweet comments you've been leaving. I appreciate them.

    There is someone posting as me on my blog from time to time so if something is said sometimes that doesn't seem quite like me, just know that it's probably not me.

    Anyway!

    It's still so sad that butterflies don't live years at at time. They are definitely so beautiful and harmless. They deserve a long life!