FreeKibble.com
Sunday, March 05, 2006
Broken Toes and Dentures


Hi everybody. Tom had all his teeth pulled (except for 5 to be used as an anchor on the bottom for the denture) Friday and is still pretty uncomfortable, but in general, is doing well.

Those of you who know my husband know that he is generally passive and a very likable person. Everyone who meets him seems to automatically like him. However, when he doesn't get his way about something that is important to him, he can (as I said the other day) through a big hissy fit.

At the oral surgeon's office, Tom wanted all his old teeth that the surgeon removed to be put in a ziplock bag for Tom to take home. I don't really know why, so don't ask. He has his reasons. He is just that way about HIS stuff including old nasty teeth. When the doctor said he could not give him is old teeth because of bio-hazard and OSHA rules, Tom pitched a BIG hissy fit. As a matter of fact you might have called that one a CONNIPTION.

Tom was trying to tell the doctor why he wanted the old teeth and of course he had a mouth full of new dentures and lots of gauze and (I know this is gross) blood. They call me back there saying he is giving them a hard time. So here he is in the middle of the doctor's office saying stuff that no one could understand and spitting bloody guaze everywhere. There was a nurse there trying to hold him up because he was drunk under the anesthesia (sp?) and also trying to catch the gauze as it was coming out of his mouth. I had to get hold of him myself and tell him we had to go home. The doctor was just standing there looking at us with disbelief and telling me he was sorry he could not give Tom his old teeth. I said I understood and got Tom outta there.

When he finally got in the car, he was so angry, he kept talking to me and I could not really understand him very well. Finally I told him he needed to be quiet so he would stop bleeding so much. He finally began to calm down. Then he got pretty quiet for the trip home. Boy what an ordeal!

His new teeth look very nice and he is finally over the anger part of this adventure. I think part of that is because he is doped up on demerol every 3 hours around the clock. So he is staying sort of drowsey. And that brings us to the broken toes.


I set my clock every 3 hours to wake up to give him his pain meds and redo his ice packs. Well, I don't wake up very easily and especially when I have only had about 2 1/2 hours of sleep between get ups. I am also not known for wearing shoes when at home....I should. I have broken toes more times than I can say. You would think I would learn.....I don't.

Anyway, I got up in the middle of the first night and while staggering around, brought Tom his meds and ice. When I brought it to the bed room, I wrapped my middle and 4th toes around one of the bed frame feet. I heard the crack and so did Tom. He said, "I heard that", and I am hopping around, yelling and saying some not-so-nice four letter words.

And now it's two days later, Tom is swollen and uncomfortable and I have a purple toe and the end of the other one had the skin ripped off it. We are a pair huh! But we are making it. So much for our exciting weekend.

Oh, one more thing. When we got home from the surgeon's office the other day, the men were here putting up our metal awning over the back porch (the one that was destroyed during Katrina). I am so glad to have a roof over my porch again. It's really nice. Next, they are going to do one on the front of the house. I have never had one there, so I am looking forward to it.

I hope all of you are having a great weekend. The weather here is beautiful like spring. Blue, blue skies, with very few or no clouds and light breezes. The temps are in the mid 70s. Beautiful! I love it.
 
posted by Cindy N. at 12:21 PM | Permalink |


4 comments:


  • At 6:27 PM, Blogger Daisy Mae

    OMG! I am sorry but I tried not to laugh when I imagined him having a hissy fit about his old teeth and bloody gauze flying out. Poor fella. I wish they had given them to him becuase I would have been interested to see what he would have done with them.

    And your poor toe. Dang Cindy, I know first hand how they hurt! I think I would have had to take one of the hubbys demerol and an ice pack for the toe.

    I hope you both feel better soon. Or better yet, as long as you are having those nice spring days I'll just come out and wait on you both. We had snow today. Now that's a nasty 4 letter word!

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger Renee

    Y'all are a pair! Two old people full of ailments, I tell ya. ;^)
    Hope your toes are better soon, Cindy-Lou!

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Ooo, Cindy, that sounds painful! I hope you feel better soon.

     
  • At 2:15 AM, Blogger ShooShoo

    Ouch! You poor things. Hope you're both doing better by now!